2019 Convention Information
The 2019 joint conventions of the Dioceses of Western New York and Northwestern Pennsylvania will be held at the Bayfront Convention Center in Erie, Pennsylvania on October 25-26.
Convention for both dioceses will begin on Friday morning with an energetic and participatory joint session designed to help develop a strategy for our common mission. Convention will conclude early on Saturday afternoon. Meals will be provided from Friday morning through Saturday morning. More schedule details and times will be available soon.
What’s New at Convention
Participation: Convention is for everyone! At convention, laypeople and clergy from both dioceses will participate actively in developing a new strategy for our shared mission. Please encourage members of your congregations to attend even if they are not voting delegates.
Schedule: Convention will convene on Friday morning and continue through early Saturday afternoon. Specific times will be available soon.
Paperless convention: This year, as is the custom in the Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania, both pre-convention and convention materials, such as resolutions and nominations, will be posted online and available for downloading or reading on mobile devices. In an effort to be good stewards of the environment and the convention budget, we will not provide printed materials to delegates.
Joint Pre-Convention Meetings
Members of both dioceses are invited to attend one of four joint pre-convention gatherings:
October 3 at 7 p.m. at St. James, Batavia, NY
October 6 at 2 p.m. at St. Luke’s, Jamestown, NY
October 7 at 7 p.m. at St. John’s, Franklin, PA
October 9 at 7 p.m. at the Diocesan Ministry Center, Tonawanda, NY
Online registration for the 2019 diocesan convention is open. The registration deadline is October 3, and the fee is $60 per person. Registration includes meals from Friday morning through Saturday morning. Register online.
Email Michael Brown with questions about convention registration.
A block of rooms is available in the Springhill Suites at the convention rate of $134/night until September 24. Reserve a room by calling the hotel at 814.864.5000. Rooms at the Sheraton Erie Bayfront are sold out.
Email Vanessa Butler or call her at 814.456.4203 with questions.
Nominations for elected lay and clergy positions are due by September 10.
The Diocese of Western New York will elect:
- Diocesan Council – 1 lay for a three-year term
- Standing Committee – 1 lay and 1 clergy for four-year terms
- Trustees – 2 clergy for three-year terms
- General Convention – 4 lay and 4 clergy as deputies; 4 lay and 4 clergy as alternates
The Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania will elect:
- Diocesan Council – 1 priest and 1 lay for four-year terms
- Standing Committee – 1 priest and 1 lay for four-year terms
- Constitution and Canons – 1 priest and 1 lay for three-year terms
- General Convention – 4 lay and 4 priests as deputies; 4 lay and 4 priests as alternates
The Secretaries of Convention have called for resolutions to be submitted to the 2019 diocesan conventions by September 10. Any resolutions submitted after the deadline will come under the guidelines of Western New York Canon 21.1.1 and Northwestern Pennsylvania Title III, Canon 5, Section C.
Please email resolutions to Michael Brown, who will be coordinating with the Secretaries.
Vendors and Exhibitors
Limited vendor and exhibitor space is available at convention and will be will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost is $25 for an eight-foot table. Learn more and complete a form to reserve vendor space. Questions? Email Michael Brown.
2018 Convention Information
The 181st Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York took place October 26-27, 2018 at the Niagara Falls Convention Center in Niagara Falls, NY.
This Convention was jointly held with the Episcopal Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania.
2018 Election Results
- Clerical Order: Diana Leiker was elected for a 4 year term
- Lay Order: Josephine Robbins was elected for a 4 year term
- Lay Order: Rose Sconiers & Denise Mlynorick were elected for 3 year terms
- Clerical Order: Claudia Scheda was elected for a 3 year term
- Lay Order: Bruce Davidson & Wayne A. Blassingame were elected for 3 year terms
- Clerical Order: Kim Rossi was elected for a 3 year term; Robert Arnold was elected for a 1 year term
- Lay Order: Ann Dutton was elected for a 3 year term
On Friday, October 26, the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York elected the Rt. Rev. Sean Rowe as Bishop Provisional for a period of 5 years, to commence in April 2019. Read all about it!
2018 Convention Documents
*NEW* 2018 Convention Packet (“The Red Book”)
IMPORTANT – An updated version of the Convention packet was uploaded at 9:45 a.m. on 10/10. If you printed prior to this, the only pages that changed (and should be reprinted) are 3-4 and 48-49.
* After downloading any form, please issue the save command to a location on your computer before you begin to enter your data. After entering your data, issue the save command again and then email or print & mail to the diocesan office.
2019 Convention Location
The 2019 Convention will take place at the Bayfront Convention Center (1 Sassafras Pier, Erie, PA).