All public relations/media inquiries should be directed to
Diocese of Western New York
Approximately 8500 adult communicants worship in 56 Episcopal congregations spread across the counties of Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming at the western edge of New York State. This area of roughly 5423 square miles, bounded on the north by Lake Ontario, on the west by Lake Erie, on the south by Pennsylvania, and on the east by the Diocese of Rochester, is the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York.
Founded in 1838, the diocese has been served by eleven bishops. The Rt. Rev. R. William Franklin, our current bishop, was consecrated in April of 2011. Bishop Franklin and the diocesan staff work out of offices located at 1064 Brighton Rd. in Tonawanda, NY.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral graces the heart of downtown Buffalo at 137 Pearl St.
When writing about our bishop:
On first reference it is proper to use “The Right Rev. R. William Franklin.” On subsequent references, use “Bishop Franklin.”
An Episcopalian is an individual who belongs to the Episcopal Church.
- “Episcopal” is an adjective.
- “Episcopalian” is a noun.
It is incorrect to refer to Episcopalians as “Episcopals” or to refer to the Episcopal Church as “the Episcopalian Church.”