The General Convention is the governing body of the Episcopal Church. It is made up of the House of Bishops – which is all of the Bishops of the Episcopal Church and the House of Deputies – which is four lay and four clergy deputies from each of the 109 Dioceses that make up the Episcopal Church.
The General Convention meets once every three years. It will be meeting from July 4 through July 13 in Austin, Texas.
The General Convention is a legislative body, so it works like the US Congress. Legislation goes to legislative committees and then is brought to one of the Houses. If it passes the first House it goes to the other. Legislation has to pass both Houses to pass.
Some of the issues before General Convention this year include: Beginning the process of revising the Prayer Book; Authorizing a new Book of Occasional Services and Lesser Feasts & Fasts; Revising the Parochial Report; Reauthorizing the Rites for Same-Gender Marriage approved at the 2015 General Convention; among many, many others.
You can read all of the legislation before General Convention and track the progress of each piece here – https://www.vbinder.net/resolutions?house=hd&lang=en&v=524254
There are several joint sessions of the House of Bishops & the House of Deputies:
- An Opening presentation by the Presiding Bishop and the President of the House of Deputies at 2:15 pm on Wednesday July 4
- A Session on Racial Reconciliation at 11:30 am on Friday July 6
- A Session on Evangelism at 3:30 pm on Saturday July 7
- A Session on the Care of Creation at 11:30 am on Tuesday July 10
- A Session on the Budget at 3:15 pm on Wednesday July 11
You can watch a live stream of the House of Bishops, the House of Deputies, Joint Sessions, the Worship and other interviews and news pieces on the General Convention media hub here – https://www.episcopalchurch.org/general-convention-2018-media-hub. Deputies, Bishops and others will be tweeting from General Convention using the hashtag #GC79.
There will be reports from General Convention in Postings and on the Diocese of Western New York’s Facebook page. Bishop Franklin is hoping to do some live stream interviews from General Convention, watch the Diocese’s Facebook page for information about that.
You can find the schedule for General Convention here – https://www.generalconvention.org/schedules2018/
The Western New York Deputation is:
- Bishop Franklin
- Ms. Elisabeth Brauza-Hughes – alternate
- The Rev. Deacon Lillian Davis-Wilson
- The Rev. Canon Cathy Dempesy-Sims
- The Very Rev. Colleen O’Connor
- Mr. Al Price
- Ms. Josephine Robbins
- The Rev. Kim Rossi – alternate
- The Hon. Rose H. Sconiers
- The Very Rev. Ann Tillman
- Ms. Catherine Way